My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
www.successful-homeschooling-blog.com
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Our Week in Review - Pirates


Last week, to commemorate International Talk Like a Pirate Day, we studied Pirates! We read Usborne's The Story of Ships, which taught us the history of sea travel, and The Usborne Official Pirate's Handbook, which taught us all the tricks of the trade.



Andrew took a fencing lesson at our local recreation center, and this weekend, I sent my little pirates on a treasure hunt. I used clip art to make picture clues for Jasmine, and I made riddles for Andrew based on this list from Scavenger Hunt Fun.




You can find pirate booty for sea lovers of all ages at Usborne Children's Books. Or create a lapbook using this free template from Homeschool Share.






To keep your youngest pirates busy, let them dig for treasure. My husband filled our sandbox a few weeks ago, and it has been a great babysitter educational activity for my children.



Grandma bought this plastic turtle sandbox for our children at a garage sale 5 years ago. If you don't have a sandbox, place sand in an empty plastic swimming pool, infant tub or Tupperware container.

International Talk Like a Pirate Day may be over, but the pirate fun has just begun. Aaaargh!
post signature

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL! I bet it's a lot of fun at your home, Carletta. Hey, I gave you an award. Check it out. :)