My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
www.successful-homeschooling-blog.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, December 28, 2008

We'll Just Call Them "School Supplies"

There was some "P.E. equipment" under the tree this year.

My husband bought me a treadmill, my two oldest received 2-wheeled scooters, and we all got a Wii. We've been bowling, boxing and playing tennis, go carts, baseball and golf since Christmas morning. Yesterday evening I forced everyone to change out of their PJ's so we could get out for some fresh air. My husband was the last to put down his controller!

One of our good friends had a stroke this year around Thanksgiving. She is the single mother of an 8-year-old boy, and she's not much older than my husband and I.

Until recently, we've taken our health for granted. Now we're realizing that it's getting easier to pack on the pounds and harder to lose them. We want to take better care of our bodies and model healthy habits for our children.

Once my husband goes back to work, there will be strict restrictions on the Wii. The restrictions are more for my sake than the kids'. It is all too tempting for me to get them occupied with something electronic so I can do my own thing.

Beyond that, excessive TV, computer and video game usage is fairly unhealthy for children, even when it involves educational programs. I will try to post more on that later, but a great book about the subject is The Plug-In Drug by Marie Winn.

I hope you're enjoying your holidays!
post signature

No comments: