My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
www.successful-homeschooling-blog.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Homeschool Reading, Part 2

Another important component of homeschool reading is teaching our children language arts skills.

I purchased this Scholastic Children's Dictionary from the company's semi-annual Warehouse Sale. When we're reading and we encounter a word my son doesn't understand, we look it up together in his dictionary. Scholastic also sells a Children's Thesaurus that we'll use when my son is older.

We build vocabulary and language skills using crossword puzzles, word searches, and similar activities. I also teach him to read rules, schedules, recipes, labels, and directions as we go about daily life.

One of our favorite language books this year was There's a Frog in My Throat by Loreen Leedy and Pat Street. It contains descriptions of 440 animal sayings, along with wacky illustrations. I didn't remember purchasing the book until my son started asking questions like, "Mom, don't you need to get your ducks in a row?"

We use a homeschool reading curriculum, but you don't have to rely on one to teach your children language skills. Find ways to incorporate language activities into everyday life. Solve Mad Libs, play Hangman or strike up a game of Scrabble, Jr.

Supplement your homeschooling curriculum with learning activities that are natural and fun!
post signature

No comments: